Achieving your weight loss goal is an extremely joyous milestone in anybody’s life and often the first step towards a healthier lifestyle. However, after healing and severe weight loss, you may notice sagging skin, residual fatty tissues, and weak abdominal muscles that can prevent you from truly enjoying your wonderful journey.
What is a tummy tuck and what are its benefits?
Abdominoplasty, commonly called a tummy tuck, is a cosmetic surgery procedure that involves trimming away the excess skin and fat and tightening the abdominal wall muscles. This procedure provides a more contoured body to the patients, providing a more aesthetically appealing look.
When you combine your weight loss journey with abdominoplasty, you get a renewed look that represents the new you. At Belvedere Clinic, our highly certified plastic surgeons will help you through this journey, helping you get a slimmer waistline and overall slimmer body profile.
Who qualifies for the tummy tuck procedure?
Being a complex surgical procedure, a tummy tuck is not offered to everyone, and you can only undergo the surgery after your doctor gives you the green light. Here is a simple checklist that you can use to check your eligibility for abdominoplasty.
- You are in good overall health. If you are a smoker, you might not be allowed to go under the knife as tobacco constricts the cardiovascular system and can be a risk.
- You have reached your weight-loss goal and have remained in a stable weight class for at least 6 months. Regaining weight reverses all the benefits of your weight loss journey.
- Emotional resilience is another factor you will need, as undergoing drastic physical changes and sticking to a goal requires courage and an unwavering spirit.
- You are willing to accept that abdominoplasty leaves scars, which will be visible when you wear certain outfits, like swimsuits.
Medical benefits of tummy tuck
- Improved abdominal posture
Diet and exercise alone can often be inadequate to solve distended stomach muscles. A tummy tuck tightens these muscles and removes the excess skin and residual fat, providing you with a toned abdomen. Moreover, since these weak muscles are linked to backaches and irregular postures, tightening the muscles can also improve your posture.
- Reduced risk of ventral hernia
Ventral hernias are caused by various reasons, like C-sections, appendix surgery, etc., and can be extremely painful. Since abdominoplasty strengthens the abdominal wall, it reduces the risk of hernias by preventing your internal organs from breaking the abdominal wall.
- Reduced risk of stress urinary incontinence
Natural births are often accompanied by stress urinary continence, in which a displaced bladder or urinary tract causes a bladder control problem. A tummy tuck can rearrange these organs back to their intended positions, reducing the risk of urinary incontinence. It is a proven procedure opted for by many.
For more information on abdominoplasty and check your eligibility, get in touch with experts. The right tummy tucking treatment can be quite effective, and help you get back a better appearance.